Yesterday, I walked into the weight room at my local gym. It’s a small, intimate space with a rack of weights along a mirrored wall opposite the squat rack, and a cosy corner stuffed with three various bench-focused exercise tools. A health and safety nightmare, some might say.
Except for a few regulars, who recognised me, every man – and they were all men – did a speedy double-take before continuing with their routines. I used to fell weird about this but now I feel weird if it doesn’t happen. It’s nice to have a status quo. Lady lifter here, LOOK AT ME! My fellow lifters ranged from lanky buff to poppable-with-a-pin buff and the atmosphere was actually quite nice. Music was shit though.
Currently, I’m coming off a lazy few months so going back to the gym was daunting. I walked to the bench feeling guilty and weak. There is a pressure in that room to be beastly. I wished to be beastly but I was soft and squishy. And the MEN WERE WATCHING.
So, there are many solutions for when you haven’t lifted in a while. But I can only think of two:
1) lighter weights and the standard 3 sets of 10 reps
2) same weights as before but a lower 3 sets of 5 reps
The important question to ask yourself is how high is your level of ego? For example, mine is cripplingly high when doing weights. Taking this into consideration, I decided to go with option 2.
Then, as I am trying not to faint – seriously, it was hell – one of my fellow lifters said,
“Wow, you never know how powerful you are. You look soft but you are strong.”
Now, I should mention that I live in China and this guy spoke pretty good English but something must have been lost in translation.
I’m sure he meant to say I look sexy.
It was a good day.
Do you even lift?
If you want to be notified for the next post, join my mailing list!
Or read some recent posts that I am quite proud of:
- I restarted yoga and now I’m better than everyone.8 min ramble about fitness goals, consistency and smugness and how none of it will last.
- Look look look!!!
- I saw myself on camera and realised I’m a tubby now.5 min read about weight fluctuations and the winter funk.
- My Year in Amazon Purchases: What did I lose? What did I gain?Big ol’ 9 min read reflecting on purchases from 2020 and where they may lead in 2021.
- Winter is Winning. Christmas is Cancelled. I am sad.5 min rant about how Covid winter is sapping all willpower.