Definition: adj. Crudely presumptuous and self-assertive to the point of being conceited.
Emerging from the 19th century, bumptious is a deliciously goofy word that is thought to be either the offspring of bump and presumptuous or the love-child of bump and fractious.
Ignoring bump’s possible past infidelity, both fractious and presumptuous lend to the irritable and unruly nature of any noun described with this adjective. Adding bump to this provides a whisper of having to engage with this sort of person.
I tended to see a stubborn narcissist you wouldn’t want to argue with because you have better things to do. So I drew a bumptious bullfrog.
Know any unusual and interesting words? Don’t keep them to yourself. Comment at me, bro!
New to the blog? Get up to speed on the whole Lazy Slinky thing here.
Or join my mailing list. I post irregularly because employment. I promise I don’t have time to spam you.
Or read some recent posts that I am quite proud of:
- the Olympics is when I revel in my ignorance of all sports.800 words of confused Olympic joy.
- Do you ignore your tea until it gets cold?3 min quickie about when your tea goes cold. Heavy journalistic stuff. Proceed with caution.
- I took a week off work, but it didn’t change my life.5 min read about expecting too much from yourself because #alwaysbehustlin’
- My Sunday evening: doomscrolling, taking offense and yogaQuickie 2 min read about that dread you feel every Sunday evening.
- Was Valentine’s Day even relevant in the pandemic?Defending Valentine’s Day for 7 minutes straight. 7 mins of reading I mean.