Definition: adj. Pleased, satisfied, contented.
Ever been disgruntled? Well, as we can’t have darkness without light, chances are that you have spent much time being gruntled.
Gruntled is probably just a whimsical back-formation from the word disgruntled that emerged in the 1930s. Although it is officially in the dictionary, it isn’t always invited to the Annual General Meeting of Common Vernaculars on account of it most likely being the has-been slang language of ye olden days.
Basically it emerged something like this.
Know any unusual and interesting words? Don’t keep them to yourself. Tell me.
If you’re more an email person, join my mailing list. I post weekly-ish. I promise I won’t spam you.
Or read some recent posts that I am quite proud of:
- Do you ignore your tea until it gets cold?3 min quickie about when your tea goes cold. Heavy journalistic stuff. Proceed with caution.
- I took a week off work, but it didn’t change my life.5 min read about expecting too much from yourself because #alwaysbehustlin’
- My Sunday evening: doomscrolling, taking offense and yogaQuickie 2 min read about that dread you feel every Sunday evening.
- Was Valentine’s Day even relevant in the pandemic?Defending Valentine’s Day for 7 minutes straight. 7 mins of reading I mean.
- What school assignment still haunts you? Mine is the Tiger EssayGorgeous 10 min read about a formative childhood experience. With #siblinggoals